For quick access to related information in another file, workbook or on a web page, you can insert a hyperlink in a Microsoft® Excel® worksheet cell. You can also insert hyperlinks in specific chart elements or images.
If you struggle to navigate to various worksheets in a large workbook, then hyperlinks may be your solution. They can also be used to easily access spreadsheets on your computer. We usually have many files and folders on our computers, and so retrieving certain files may become time consuming and a little confusing. To quickly retrieve files, you can simply add hyperlinks to certain pieces of content within your worksheets.
You are welcome to download the workbook to practice.
Applies To: Microsoft® Excel® for Windows 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- On a worksheet of the source workbook, click the cell or object where you want to create a hyperlink. You can also right-click the cell or graphic and then click Hyperlink.
- On the Insert tab, in the Links group, click Hyperlink.
- To link to a location in your current workbook, click Place in This Document.
- In the Or select a place in this document box, under Cell Reference, click the worksheet that you want to link to.
- Type the cell reference in the Type in the cell reference box, and then click OK.
Note: Here’s what to do in order to select a predefined name; in the list under Defined Names, click the name that represents the cells that you want to link to, and then click OK.
- In the Text to display box, type the text that you want to use to represent the hyperlink.
- To display helpful information when you hover the mouse pointer on the hyperlink, click ScreenTip.
- Type the text that you want in the ScreenTip text box, and then click OK.
Editing a hyperlink
- To edit a single hyperlink, right-click the hyperlink, and then click Edit Hyperlink.
- Make your changes and then click OK.
Deleting a hyperlink
- To delete a single hyperlink, right-click the hyperlink, and then click Remove Hyperlink.
Hyperlinks are useful in quickly navigating to specific locations and as a result, time is saved.